Thursday, October 31, 2013

Nerdcore Rapper Adam WarRock Tired Of Psy Comparisons, Expectations He’ll Produce New Dance, ‘Ridiculous Video’

Korean-American rapper Adam WarRock is fed up with fans expecting him to be a carbon copy of K-pop superstar Psy.

In an interview on Wednesday in the Korea Times, WarRock, whose real name is Eugene Ahn, reported that people of all races and cultures seem to see him in the Psy mold.

"It's equally from non-Asian people, and Asian people who just assume that the next step is for me to make a dance phenomenon and make a ridiculous video," WarRock said.

Like Us on Facebook :

"I've had every older Korean relative and friends of my parents ask me if I dance on stage, or if I am going to go on TV like Psy. Or basically, during the height of 'Gangnam Style' fever, when I told people what I did, everyone who was not into rap or whatever, would just ask if I sounded like Psy."

The comparisons between Adam WarRock and K-pop's favorite "Gentleman" could have to do with more than the former's Korean heritage.

WarRock's music is far from serious.

A member of a genre commonly referred to as nerdcore, the 33-year-old former litigation attorney, is known to rap about such non-gangstafied topics as the original "Batman" television series and the NBC's "Parks and Recreation."

WarRock, brushed off the nerdcore branding as an invention by music journalists.

"I think genres or labels like that are useful to critics and some consumers; but to a lot of the people who are Nerdcore, we kind of got called that after we had already started making the music we were doing anyway," he said.

"So I don't know if it's empowering, but we've kind of taken the label and run with it, made it our own thing."

Yet as a child growing up in Memphis, WarRock does remember feeling alienated.

"I definitely was a nerd, though I don't know if I traveled around in a group," he said. "There was a group of nerds in school that were huge into computer programming, and they were the typical nerd group that you'd see in the movies. I was more just kind of a loner."

The new Adam WarRock album "The Middle of Nowhere" will be available Tuesday at adamwarrock.bandcamp.com, iTunes and Amazon.

Check out the new music video for the Adam WarRock song "B.S.F.X." RIGHT HERE

[embedded content]



No comments:

Post a Comment